USPS (United States Postal Service) is one of the best mail services in the US, which was established in the 1970s. US mail, as most would call it, is geared for the establishment of an office that operates in receiving and dispatching of letters to receive, send, and deliver the letters and packages at certain prices.
Besides being the third largest employer for civilians in the United States, it already made its name in the postal operations for 45 years and counting. However, with regular usage, consumers have many doubts about it. Say for example, does USPS deliver on weekends? Can you pick up packages from USPS, how many stamps one requires sending a letter and so on. I will focus on telling about the USPS pickup in this article. For other related queries, click the corresponding links.
|Can You Pick Up Packages From USPS?|
Yes, you can pick up packages from USPS before the scheduled delivery time but only if the reason for an early pick up (by you) is valid. Just call the USPS customer support to assist you. However, the P.O. will need the tracking number. Also, according to the USPS Package Intercept Program, one can redirect his/her undelivered or unreleased domestic shipment for delivery. It is available for letters, flats, and packages with an additional services barcode or tracking.
Facts About USPS Pick Up Package
Since its USPS’s job to deliver the packages and mails on time to the destined location, there are times when consumers might want them before the scheduled delivery date or time. You can pick up the package from USPS if you have the tracking number ready and the following exceptions:
1. The Need Is Urgent
If you have an urgent situation that cannot be ignored (example: you are leaving the city), and you need the mail or package soon, you can call USPS customer service for help. There are instances where they let customers pick up their packages or mails but only if the reason is valid. It is obvious that carriers might take days to reach your home. So at such times, it is better to cancel the home delivery and get the package yourself from the post office.
2. Missed USPS
If you have signed up for a home delivery, then it is expected that a signature of the receiver is required upon delivery. If the case is not so, you can have someone to receive your package when you are not around. But it is an automatic act that the delivery boy or postman will ask for authorization from the receiver, already signed by you or may be a prior authorization from the office in some cases.
However, if the situation does not agree with the first two scenarios, the carrier may bring back or leave your package to the nearest post office. By then, they may allow you to pick up the package given that you bring your slip and a valid identification card or ID for security purposes.
3. Hold Upon Request
USPS Package Intercept offers a feature called Hold Upon Request, which is exclusively designed for people who wish to pick up their package the other way around. This means that this time, you are the sender, and you have your package lost, or you have your item not yet released or delivered, and you want to get it back.
At such times, you should submit a request for this type of amenity with an input of the sender’s address. However, there is a payment required. Take note that this fee will be non-refundable.
Tips On USPS Packages
So, how about preventing some complications on your packages? Well, it could save you from the hassles mentioned above of pickups. Of course, those cannot be avoided, especially on emergency matters. But for toxic customers, here are some tips to keep you from mailing troubles.
- You can send your mail by either scheduling for a pickup, taking your mail to a Post Office, leaving it in your mailbox at home, or by dropping the mail into a blue collection box.
- Take your item at the retail counter of the Post Office if it weighs more than 13 ounces. Make sure that you affix your postage stamps.
- When scheduling a pickup, first, submit your request online and have your items ready before the specific carrier arrives.
- When putting a hold on your mail, first have yourself fill out a Hold Mail form from the Post Office. Remember that for the postal service to hold your item for 30 days, visit USPS online or call customer services for more information. You can pick up your mail from the Office or have your mail in home delivery.
- For people who are always on the move, remember to update your shipping address every time you go out for home transfer. There is permanent address change or a shipping address alteration for the temporary address. To save you from hassle, you may go online for a minor fee. Notify your local office for your move a month before. This will assure that your mail service will not be interrupted. In cases of priority mail, priority mail express and first – class mail, they will be forwarded to you at no cost for a year. For the newspapers and magazines, however, they will be forwarded for a total of 60 days.
- When printing postage stamps, you can have it in a moment by doing it online so you don’t need to carry yourself to the local office.
- Your signature is as important as your mail. You acknowledge received items through your signature. Keep in mind that postal service ends its liability to you when you do so. Upon receiving, you may confirm sender’s information such as the name and address for security purposes.
Hope you have the answer to the question – Can You Pick Up Packages From USPS. If you feel that the information given here is incorrect, feel free to drop it in the comments section.