While men have the privilege of cutting their hair short or even shaving it off without looking very weird, women must double their efforts to maintain the beauty of their tresses. Hair is every woman’s crown of glory. But since hair fall is one of the most common problems we face on a daily basis, we are always curious to know how long does it take for your hair to grow? We will give you the answer soon but before that know few things about your hair.
3 Phases Of Hair Growth
It is a protein fibre that develops from the follicles originated from the dermis or the skin. Hair is composed of keratin, a fibrous structural protein which is also responsible for protecting the skin. Hair growth usually goes through under 3 important phases:
- The anagen phase
- Catagen phase and
- Telogen phase.
3 Layers Of Every Hair Strand
Hairs are present in almost all parts of the human body, right from your head to your genital. Every hair strand is composed of three layers.
- The cuticle can be found at the outer part of the strand
- The middle layer is the medulla and
- Final one is the cortex, with the keratin
Purpose Of Hairs On Different Body Parts
- Scalp & Skin hair – Mostly, the function of the human hair growing on the scalp is to act as regulator of heat on the head, same goes to the fine hair growing on the skin. Aside from being a regulator of body temperature, these fine hairs are very useful when you are using your sense of touch.
- Nose hair – The hair inside the nose traps foreign particles and prevents it to fully enter the body.
- Eyebrow hair – The human face will surely be contorted if the eyebrows are missing.
- Armpit & Genital hair – Hairs on the armpits regulate body heat while hair on genitals protects the organs. The palms and soles of the feet are the known parts of the body where hair is not evident.
More Facts About The Hair
Apart from hair’s functionality to the human body, the human hair has been involved in different stories from the past. The classic Rapunzel wowed every child for generations, with her love story and her super long hair. The classic Bible story about a man named Samson who fell in love with the beautiful Delilah, which led him to spill his secret about his hair to her. Little did he know, Delilah was an enemy. While a king made an order to let every man in his town pay an additional tax if he would catch them growing a beard. The law was implemented in desire of the king to make their way of living similar to the Western countries. And during the time of Victorian Era, hairs of the deceased family members were made into jewelries. They wore it as a remembrance and to honor their dead loved ones.
- Some natives of North America believed that the hair is a part of the soul. Once it was cut, they burry it on the ground.
- A woman must never live the house during the night with her hair loose, a belief from the Celts.
- For the Sioux people, some women must only cut their hair in times of grieving.
- In Scotland, while their husbands were on sail, wives must tie their hair in braids during the night to avoid a bad weather.
- A woman’s personality can be defined by her hair.
- Long hair exhibits women fertility in Victorian Britain
- People of Lancashire suggest that in order for a person to know his or her life span, he or she must burn his or her hair. If the color is bright, then you will have the chance to have a long life.
- Lithuanians specifically associated headache to their fallen hair, which were collected by some birds and were made into a nest.
According To Race
Based on race, hair types were classified into 3 types:
- Asian hair– develop from round follicle; straight
- Caucasian hair-anything in between
- Afro hair-grow from oval hair follicle; curl or spiral
What Makes Your Hair Grow?
1. Diet – Increase Intake Of Food Rich In Vitamin E
400 IU of vitamin E is essential to make your hair grow stronger. It helps the body to produce an ample amount of keratin.
- Olive oil
2. Essential Fatty Acids
The human body does not have the capability to produce their own fatty acid, so an increase amount of food containing this important mineral is very necessary.
- Salmon, any fish
- Flax-seeds and walnuts
This vitamin will exactly answer your question on what makes your hair grow. This is responsible for a healthy and well nourished scalp and hair. A healthy scalp will be a good beginning for growing healthy hairs.
- Legumes and nuts
4. Enhance Vitamin C Intake
This is a very important component to maintain healthy hair. Vitamin C combats against collagen break out, which is very common as you aged. Collagen surrounding the hair strands makes the hair free from breakage.
- Fruits especially citrus fruits
- Green leafy vegetables
5. Iron Rich Foods
An important component for a healthy and glowing hair. It is best absorb if taken with food rich in vitamin C.
- Green leafy vegetables
- Dried fruits
6. Saw Palmetto
Saw Palmetto (Scientific name Serenoa repens) have been tested and proven to enhance hair growth in men. It was confirmed by a study by the Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine. An intake of 400 mg of saw palmetto plus 100 mg of a mineral beta-sitosterol that came also from saw palmetto every day will improve the hair growth of men. It was claimed that during the early time, saw palmetto was a cure for hair loss.
7. Vitamin B
May increase hair thickness and improves scalp circulation, nourishing hair follicles resulting to a healthy, shiny hair.
- Red meat
- Skim milk
8. Rosemary Essential Oil
Massage your scalp with few drops of this essential oil. It is very useful to improve scalp circulation. Applying a light pressure while doing a massage on your scalp is one of the best ways for a healthy and fast growing hair. If you’re looking for an answer on how to make your hair grow longer in a short time, then, massage therapy is perfect for you.
9. Methylsulfonylmethane (MSM)
Methylsulfonylmethane helps in making hair follicles stronger and facilitates in keratin production. A study was conducted and it was proven that MSM increases hair growth more than the usual.
10. Essential Minerals
1 gram of Silica and 30 mg of Zinc every day are very essential to achieve strong and shiny tresses.
- Legumes and beans
- Fresh oyster
The warmer the temperature, the more the hair will increase its growth.
Androgen: The hormone that is present to both sexes, but dominant in males. This hormone is responsible for the extra body and facial hair of men. It also linked to thinning or baldness because Androgen may sometimes revent hair follicles to mature. Too much Androgen for women can cause excessive hair production called Hirsutism. Sometimes, body structure of female may tend to be like that of a male.
Thyroid hormone: There’s a part in your brain that is small yet plays an important role for the human body to function. The hypothalamus gives off the thyroid- releasing hormone, which will be paired with the pituitary and. Then with the aid of pituitary gland, it will release the thyroid-stimulating hormone. Thyroid hormones are necessary for the body to function fully. Without it, hypothyroidism, or the condition where there is small or little amount of thyroid hormone in the body, may occur. Hypothyroidism will cause your hair to be thinner than the usual. Excessive hair fall on both men and women may be associated with this condition.
Estrogen: If there is the Androgen for men, estrogen is for women. But this doesn’t necessarily means that men doesn’t have estrogen, it’s just that women have large amount of estrogen in the body. This hormone is composed of three female sex hormones, which are:
- Estrone- produces during the menopausal stage of women
- Estriol- present in an increase amount during pregnancy
- Estradiol- present in the body
Aside from being responsible for the improvement of the female body structure, Estrogen shares a big part on body hair production. It reduces and minimizes bodily hair. This hormone is responsible also for the growth of hair on the head.
Insulin: This helper hormone is secreted through the beta cells of the pancreas. It helps in regulating the blood sugar level of the body. After a meal, the amount of glucose in the body will be fairly absorb and distributed on the adipose tissues, liver and muscle. A publish research conducted by the European Journal of Cardiovascular Risk states that female who are resistant to insulin may have the possibility of having androgenic alopecia (AGA), or baldness that is common in females.
How To Make Your Hair Grow Longer?
There are some simple ways to make your hair grow longer.
- Use hair products, especially shampoos, every other day. Avoid using it every day, and if possible, condition your hair at least twice a week only. Just let your hair rest from chemicals and let it produce its own healthful hair oil.
- Avoid using hair brush upon combing your newly wash hair. Wide tooth combs are preferable. Brush may cause the hair to be brittle. Use the brush if the hair is already dry.
- Do not wrap your hair with towel after taking a bath. This might cause friction to hair strands, resulting for more split ends.
- Massage hair, especially when taking a bath. As stated above, this is for a better blood circulation in the scalp.
- Tie in a not-so-tight bun or braid your hair if you are to expose to too much sunlight or air. The heat and air are the negative pressures that will easily make the hair brittle and weak.
- Upon sleeping, tie your hair in a bun. Make sure that it doesn’t freely sprawl on the pillow. This is to prevent the friction of the strands that would often lead to split ends and breakage.
- Use silk pillow case. If ever your hair will be covering the whole pillow, you don’t have to worry too much. The silk pillow case is perfect to prevent any breakage and tangles from occurring.
- Always use cool water for rinsing. The hair cuticle will be closed, making the hair stronger and hair breakouts will be prevented.
- Eat right. Vitamins, fruit and fresh vegetables are the primary source of nutrients for the hair. In order to have healthy tresses, start nourishing the insides of your body, and the result will just be visible through the glow of your hair and skin.
- Make the scalp clean. Oils and dirt present in the scalp may prevent the growth of your hair. Avoid excessive scratching of scalp up to the point of irritating the surface. Massage gently while shampooing your hair. Pay extra attention to the hair roots rather than the tip.
- Less stress, good tresses. Study shows that stress change the hair cycle of a person. Too much stress could cause the hair to fall-out.
- Upside down. This may sound a little bit weird, but the explanation behind this act will let you understand why this is effective for growing hair. Flip your head upside down and let your hair loose for about four minute. The pull of gravity might somehow helps for a better blood circulation in the head. How long does it take for your hair to grow? Well, some of the people in YouTube.com tested this trick and happily admitted that there is, indeed, some improvements on the duration of their hair growth.